“It Chapter Two” Underwhelms Audiences, Despite Brilliant Acting

Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise The Dancing Clown in “It: Chapter Two”

Kevin Duffy, Writer

Bill Skargasrd, Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy, and company come back to the big screen for “It Chapter Two” which debuted in the US earlier this September.

The kids from Stephen King’s 1986 horror novel by the same name are all grown up now, and the second chapter follows the story of the Losers’ club in 2016 Derry, Maine, as they honor their promise to kill It if he ever came back.

Pennywise is Its favorite form, but It takes on other personas and characters such as “sweet and innocent” Mrs. Kerch who seems like an elderly old woman, but is in reality a monster who preys upon children.

Credit has to be given to Swedish actor Bill Skarsgard, who, although isn’t an A-list Hollywood celebrity, showed audiences why he deserves special recognition.

Skarsgard’s performance as Pennywise has to be considered one of the best in the horror genre, and it blew my friends and I away. For a foreign born actor, he has a mastery of his American accent for his roles, and is able to keep his composure throughout the movie to portray Pennywise the Dancing Clown masterfully.

Credit has to also be given to “It” and their makeup team. Part of the reason Skarsgard would be unrecognizable on the street is because of the job they were able to do. Pennywise’s makeup, infamous giant head, sharp, scary teeth are all part of what makes Skarsgard’s character so famous.

The press’ criticisms of the movie are few and far between, but one that stood out was the “sub-par” scares.

On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 63% based on 335 reviews, with an average rating of 6.11/10. The website’s critical consensus reads, “It: Chapter Two proves bigger doesn’t always mean scarier for horror sequels, but a fine cast and faithful approach to the source material keep this follow-up afloat.”

Many critics and fans came to a consensus that this year’s chapter two of It underwhelmed in the fear department. Katie Rife, of the A.V. club, an entertainment website, gave the movie a sub-par C+ grade. “What a shame, than to build this beautiful stage, populate it with talented actors and high-level craftspeople, and then drop them all through the trap door of plodding humor and scattershot plotting” says Rife,.

Loyola students, however, would disagree. Senior Ryan Dombrowski says It: Chapter Two was “scarier than the first one” and also went on to mention how much he throughly enjoyed the movie beyond the fear factor.

If you’re a conditioned fan of horror, or simply looking for a horror thriller that will keep you up at night, “It: Chapter Two” won’t be the movie for you. However, if you’re like me and appreciate good acting on the part of Skarsgard and crew, “It: Chapter Two” may very well be worth your time.

Final Rating: 6.5/10