Winnetka’s New Hotspot

Hayes Flanagan, Writer

If you need a bright space to work or a coffee pick me up, Winneka’s new cafe, Towne and Oak, is the place for you.

The newly opened Cafe is located in the heart of Winnetka’s Hubbard Woods business district right off of Green Bay Road. The cafe originally planned to open their doors in June, but due to COVID they had to delay until early September.

The Towne and Oak was opened by chef and entrepreneur Elaina Vazquez who wanted to take her skills in the kitchen and create a warm and welcoming place for anyone to walk into. Vazquez is well known for her Catering company called Boutique Bites as well as her experience working at a 3 Michelin Star restaurant in Las Vegas. She has made a name for herself not only as a chef, but now a host and business owner.

The quaint coffee shop prides itself on being not only a cafe, but a private event space, open to any celebration or event. The space is set up to host 120 guests as well as curate a personalized menu for the special event. Towne and Oak is open from 8 am to 4 pm most days, except for Tuesday when they are closed.

Towne and Oak offers grab and go items such as pastries and cookies as well as made to order menu items. The cafe also serves specialty drinks and coffees, serving Metric Coffee, Intelligentsia Espresso, and Rishi Organic Tea.

The space in the cafe is calming, decorated with crisp light blues and plants, the cafe is chic and calming. There is a tranquil ambiance that is elevated with soft jazz playing over the speakers. The big windows let in beautiful light that is refreshing. With a welcoming environment and plenty of space to sit, Towne and Oak is the perfect place to work or meet up with friends.

Meghan Chase, a local high school student and newest Towne and Oak employee, raved about her job explaining, “I love how friendly the customers are as well as my coworkers, it’s a little community.”

Chase plans on working at Towne and Oak until she leaves for college in the fall and is looking forward to working when she comes home from college. The cafe is looking to take on more staff as business picks up.

Although the cafe has a friendly staff, the service was slow. The simplest order took over ten minutes, so if you are in a rush, run over to your local Starbucks for faster service.

The food was presented beautifully and tasted notably fresh. Some customer favorites on the menu are the breakfast sandwich with their homemade biscuit and the smashed avocado tartine. The special almond croissant was moist and airy, providing a perfect morning treat for anyone. From salads to pastries, you cannot go wrong with any order.

Towne and Oak is a must try if you are looking for a yummy bite to eat or a space to work. Head on over to Green Bay Road and try the newest hotspot in Winnetka!