Loyola Takes On Washington D.C.

Mr. Lupo

The Loyola group smiles in front of the Capitol Building after their successful meetings with Representative Schakowsky and Senator Duckworth.

Alejandra De Leon, Arts & Entertainment Editor

The Ignatian Family Teach In has come and gone once again. As always there were Jesuit schools from across the country that came together in Washington D.C. to learn about current social issues from a variety of speakers, and a day of lobbying on Capitol Hill. Although there were a variety of different breakout sessions throughout the weekend regarding different issues, you had a chance to meet other students and talk to the speakers. Speakers include professors from universities, advocates from different organizations, and high school and college students. KINO Border Initiative, an organization that aids immigrants on their journey including before they cross or once they are deported by providing food, shelter, and clothing, attended the Teach In. Joanna, a KINO staff member, spoke about the current immigration situation along with having an immigrant speak about his experience on coming to the United States and his encounter with KINO.  

Crossroads, this year’s Teach In, focused on immigration along with environmental injustices, and other issues. The Ignatian Family Teach In always became a unique experience. The experience becomes shaped by the different break out sessions you attend, the people you met at the conference, and the relationships/ friendships that form. This impactful trip allows you to learn from others and their perspectives, but on the other hand it gives you a chance to share your views and come to your own conclusion.

After attending the breakout sessions and listening to the main speakers, advocacy day was just around the corner. On advocacy everyone had a meeting with their state senate or representatives. Loyola met with Representative Schakowsky and Senator Duckworth. They split into two groups to have an opportunity to have a meeting with both. Our day remained packed as each group had their meeting, visited the House of Representatives and Senate, on top of making it to the airport on time.

Although there was a tight schedule, the group managed to explore the DC area. They got to see Georgetown’s campus with Nickie Cemamos ‘16 and had a chance to talk to Aleksandra George, environmental law graduate, about her career and how she has continued in nonprofit organizations like Earthjustice. Even with the time crunch and various activities, we were able to make memories and become a close group in the short amount of time. As always, the Ignatian Family Teach in does not disappoint or cause any regrets.

Some advice for fellow Ramblers: Take the opportunity to attend the Ignatian Family Teach In (IFTJ) if possible and become part of the Ignatian Solidarity Network. If you are interested, apply next year and reach out to Mr. Lupo or Mrs. Gregg in Campus Ministry (or even me) if you have questions and want to learn more.

JUNIORS: If you have not done so APPLY FOR SUMMER SERVICE. No matter where you go it is an incredible adventure and make sure to check out KINO’s summer service application and APPLY. Mr. Leon in Campus Ministry can answer any questions, or reach out to some seniors that have already gone I am one so feel free to ask questions 🙂