Summer Service: Fun in the Sun and Serving the Lord

Loyola Academy and Ignatius students pose in front of St Procopius school in Pilsen.

Jack McNabb, Writer

As students of a Jesuit school, there are many things we do that others don’t. Kairos retreat, the daily examen, and all school masses distinguish us from our public school neighbors. When I discuss my time at Loyola with relatives or strangers, they are surprised to hear of our summer service program. Juniors are bestowed an opportunity of serenity and peace in the midst of one of the most stressful years of their life. I’m sure my fellow seniors can agree. The second semester of junior year and the first of senior year is one of the most demanding times of our life, but what better way to remedy this than with service.

Loyola Academy offers juniors the chance to go out and experience different cities and towns, different ways of life, all the while serving God and the communities they travel to. None of this would be possible without Mr. Leon in Campus Ministry. Mr. Leon is responsible for the entire summer service program, and students would not have the fortune to experience different communities and serve in the process.

“But why should I give up part of my summer to do service and not have my phone?” you may ask. When you turn off your phone for the week, all distraction and stress seems to disappear. While this is challenging at first, it becomes easier and easier as the week continues.

Don’t take my word for it. Here’s what a teacher chaperone has to say about summer service. “Summer immersion trips are the quintessential Jesuit high school student experience.  24/7 being Women and Men for Others. All six characteristics of RIPLOC are engaged. It doesn’t get any more Real Rambler than this,” says theology teacher Mr. Mitchell.

Students peel carrots for St. Procopius’ annual Kermes festival in August.

“Okay I want to do summer service, but I don’t know who to talk to or how to sign up. I need help!”

According to Mr. Leon, summer service sign ups could not be easier. The sign up portal can be accessed through the Loyola Academy website homepage or through students’ oncampus webpage.

I encourage students to take a risk this summer. I did when I went on my trip, and you can, too.

Spanish teacher Ms. Kennedy puts it this way: “Summer Service is an amazing way to connect with others. You get to know not only the communities you serve, but also members of your school community: fellow classmates & teachers. More often in life, we regret the things we didn’t do. Sign up! You will not regret it.”

Take a risk, because we may regret it in the future. Go somewhere you’ve never been before. You may never have an opportunity like this again.