Behind the Scenes of Theater Fest

Loyola+students+pause+from+Theater+Fest+fun.+

Loyola students pause from Theater Fest fun.

Emily Devyor and Eva Vitanovec

This year I had the opportunity to go behind the scenes of the Illinois High School Theatre Fest by being a part of the costume crew of the All-State show, In The Heights. The process of getting to be in this show started all the way back in May when I had to submit applications and a portfolio, and then had to complete an interview in June. After getting accepted it was months of work during long weekends and late nights, until the time finally came for us to bring it all down to the University of Illinois.

The entire company got to U of I bright eyed and bushy tailed at 9:00 AM, and we worked till 10:00 PM that night to get everything ready for our performances. Watching the entire production come together, from the musical numbers to the set and even the lighting and projections in two short days was amazing. Thursday was the first day where there were people other than us at the university and the change in energy was palpable. All of us were excited because our schools were arriving and it was opening night.

One of the things that I’m going to remember most vividly is when we got to walk across the stage during the opening ceremony, and then as soon as we were out of sight, sprinting to the other side of the building because we had a show to put on in 45 minutes. After six exhilarating days and five amazing shows, it had to come to an end. We stayed late to take apart the set Saturday night and then everyone went their separate ways, destined to intersect in the future.

• Emily Devyor

Without a doubt, my experience as a participant of the annual Theatre Fest was much different than Emily’s exclusive behind-the-scenes look. However, the festival was no less fun and exciting from a partaker’s perspective, due the plethora of workshops and shows to attend.

Highlights from my experience include insightful workshops such as “English Dialects for Actors” (pip pip, cheerio), and the cardio-intensive dance workshop entitled “This Stomp is No Load of Carp!” where fellow attendees of last year’s festival and All-State Production Big Fish learned the very catchy “Alabama Stomp” (“teach a man the Alabama Stomp, and you feed his soul!”)

Besides the wonderfully entertaining workshops, Theatre Fest is a great way to connect with fellow theater nerds in an environment where everyone can be themselves. Coming from all across the great Land of Lincoln, the students at Theatre Fest love their art with all their heart, and crave that three-day extravaganza, no matter how low the temperature is.

This is my third year going to the festival, and each year I come back feeling a little closer to the people I spent three hours round trip in a confined moving vehicle with.

To all the underclassman who may be reading this, I hope my message pushes you to sign up for this amazing experience next winter. If Loyola had not been invited to perform at Theatre Fest my sophomore year, I probably would never had gone, and I would have regretted it so much. No matter if your whole friend group is going or not, please take a leap of faith and trust me on this one. The laughs, the tears, the late-night shows, and the five-star hotel waffle maker awaits you!

• Eva Vitanovec