The Prep

Letter from the Editor

Claire Finley, Editor-in-Chief

Hey Ramblers,

I’m sure you’ve all seen that Instagram post about how high schoolers today have the same stress levels as mental patients in the 1950s. I’ll admit, I’ve seen that post many times, and each time I see it, I’m shocked for a minute, and then I keep scrolling.

It’s concerning that I’ve never spent more time considering that post. It’s likely because high schoolers (myself included) write off stress as an unimportant inevitability. But stress is not something to be taken lightly, which I have to remind myself of daily. The next time you inform your friend at lunch: “I know, I’m just so stressed,” take a step back.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s just a test, just a presentation, just a homework assignment. Your mental health is infinitely more important. We tend to throw around that phrase, “I’m stressed,” all the time, and never consider the implications. School is demanding, and everyone has activities outside of school on top of that, whether it be sports or a relative in the hospital or a job. All this can take its toll on you.

In short, I urge you to stop thinking of stress as inconsequential and unavoidable. It can legitimately affect you, but it doesn’t have to. Make a schedule, do a meditation, listen to music, talk to a friend, whatever works for you.

Thank you for tuning in to my unofficial advice column, and keep crushing second semester!

About the Writer
Claire Finley, Editor-in-Chief

Hi! My name is Claire Finley and I’m editor-in-chief of The Prep. I’ve been writing for the newspaper for 4 years, and I like to cover Arts and Entertainment...