The Prep

Cheer: Road to State

The+cheer+team%27s+hard+work%2C+evident+at+this+year%27s+pep+rally%2C+paid+off+with+a+trip+to+State.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Cheer: Road to State

The cheer team's hard work, evident at this year's pep rally, paid off with a trip to State.

The Year

The Year

The Year

Arianna Awdisho

Gianna Lapasso, Writer

Loyola Academy Varsity Cheer has advanced to the IHSA state finals! after eight consecutive seasons ending at sectionals, the team placed fourth at their most recent competition, moving them forward.

The sectionals competition displayed a major change from the team’s prior performances. “During the performance, it felt like a completely different team. There was so much energy on the mat. I knew that even if we didn’t make it to state, I would be proud of our performance,” Lilli Awdisho, junior, said.

The team has greatly progressed throughout the season. “We had a rough start to our competitive season: injuries, skills not hitting, and not placing well at competitions,” head coach, Tyler Sturgill said. The team has been in the gym for months “working hard every practice and pushing [themselves], Ali Levi, junior, said.

That hard work and dedication does not end here. “We will be having last minute practices to clean up the routine and advance their stunts and skills,” Sturgill said. He knows his team will “rise to this challenge,” as they’ve shown him time and time again.

Going into the state competition, Sturgill is “overjoyed and extremely proud” of his team. The team is thrilled that they’ve qualified for such a highly competitive event. “Making it to sate still feels surreal,” Taylor Zipparro, senior, said. They’ll be headed off to Grossinger Motors Arena in Bloomington, IL. on Thursday, Jan. 31. The Ramblers will compete one last time on Friday at 6:13 p.m. “I’m extremely nervous because none of us have ever been to state, so we really have no clue what to expect, but I’m very excited to have the opportunity to go with my best friends,” Arianna Awdisho, senior, said.

The five seniors have “helped inspire [the] team to greatness and they will be missed,” Sturgill said. He knows the team will keep up the hard work and strong energy to continue the senior’s legacy. “I couldn’t have asked for a better way to end my last season as a cheerleader,” Sophia D’agostina said.

About the Writer
Gianna Lapasso, Writer

Hi! My name is Gianna Lapasso, I’m a junior, and this is my first year writing for The Prep. I’m mainly interested in reporting on Sports and School...