The Curious Case of Senioritis

Ashley Sarpong

Logo printed on the back of the 2019 senior sweatshirt.

Ashley Sarpong, Writer

Why the last year of high school beats out the rest of them. 

A forlorn battle brews within high schools all across the country every year, a fight that rages between the oldest students in the school and their transitioning mentalities. The war, officially known as Senioritis, continues to wreak havoc among the youth, deterring the development of motivation and any sort of drive.

The term is used loosely, but its official definition is, “a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.” Symptoms include severe procrastination, total indifference, and the need to always nap.  Everything from homework to classroom attendance become optional rather than priorities of obligation. Certain experts believe that the cause of Senioritis can be attributed to college acceptance and the complacency that those admitted feel after achieving the status.

Some conclude that the epidemic is a false conspiracy, created as an excuse for seniors to loosen their grip on their priorities. Parents like Juliet Sarpong, who have had to call out their children from school, is among the skeptics. “I don’t feel good about it,” she stated, referencing the number of times she had to inform the dean’s office that her child was “sick.” “Not having the energy to go to school shouldn’t give anyone a free pass to not go through the routine; it’s all a process to get to the end.”

For students like Amanda Boateng, the routine is more than simply part of a process, it’s a daunting journey that evokes a feeling of overwhelming misery. “Senior year was very eye-opening and unlocked the reality of us going into the real world independently, which is why it does feels time to move on. Not being able to do that and pursue specific interests really makes me feel stuck.” Cases like her’s depict how the senior slump can go beyond an unwillingness to learn anymore, but rather the yearning to partake in an array of courses relevant to future goals.

The last year of school is undoubtedly a buzzworthy time, consisting of prom talk, graduation chatter, last minute experiences, and moments that make individuals delighted to have made it so far. Yet, the excitement may dull, as students grow increasingly “infected” with Senioritis.

Senior Arianna Chipp wishes the end of the year would focus more on the exhilaration. “I wish there was more of an emphasis placed on enjoying the end of our high school career rather than worrying about finals and homework,” she said. The pressure remains constantly on, even for those admitted to colleges, as their acceptance can be rescinded in case of acute academic decline.

Many seniors do not view the supposed epidemic as a problem, deducing that they have earned the right to be cut some slack. The entitlement does not sit well with those who believe that the young adults should use the time to prepare for the ruthless world ahead of them. The debate continues, as many understand this transition between childhood and adulthood to be a sacred time. It is the very last time in one’s life comprised of freedom to be childish because once that final bell rings and the last name is called at graduation, the end of an era officially ends, and the reality that one has known for over a decade becomes nothing more than a slideshow of memories.