How to Make the Best Ramen

Chicken+flavor+Top+Ramen+

Chicken flavor Top Ramen

Toby Harris, Writer

The meal most college students rely on, Top Ramen. Top Ramen has alway been known for being a cheap alternative for a quick snack. There are tons of different flavors for Top Ramen, but the greatest one of them all is the chicken flavor.

Today I’m going to be teaching you how to make your average Top Ramen turn into a quick, tasty, and very affordable stir fry meal.

First you will need to gather your supplies.
You will need…
– A small pot
– A kitchen knife
– A chopping board
– A frying pan
– Olive oil
– One packet of Top Ramen (ideally the chicken flavor)
– One egg
– Single breast of chicken
– A clove of garlic
– A red onion
– Soy sauce
– One red bell pepper
– Sriracha sauce
– A bowl

Once you have gathered your supplies you need to finely chop up half of the red pepper, making sure you have taken out all the seeds.

Then you need to separate one clove of garlic and squash it with the side of your knife, making sure all of the skin is peeled off. Chop up the garlic very finely so that it almost melts when it touches the frying pan.

Next you need to peel the skin off the onion and chop up about an ⅛ of the onion.

Wash the chicken breast under cold water and clean your knife. Start to chop up the chicken into smallish cubes. Next turn your stove up to its highest setting and place the frying pan on top. While you’re at it, start to boil 2 cups of water in a pot for the ramen noodles. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil and wait of the pan to heat up. You have to make sure the pan is hot enough for the chicken because we do not want to add the chicken to the pan if it’s not hot enough. When you add all of the chicken to the pan you want to hear a sizzle.

As soon as the chicken starts to turn a little golden on the edges slowly add the onions and garlic first as they will need more time to cook. After about 2 minutes of heat add the red peppers as well. At this point turn the heat down to a little under half. Unwrap the Ramen packet and add it to the boiling water. Set a timer for 3 minutes.

During this time stir around the chicken, pepper, onions, and garlic till they are all cooked. Strain the noodles leaving a little bit of the pasta water in the pot. Pour the pasta and pasta water into the frying pan. At this point you want to crack your egg into the pan and leave it to cook for a few seconds. After you see the egg whites cook you can start to stir everything so that the egg is evenly distributed. Sriracha sauce is optional but my family likes things to have a bit of spice to add to the overall flavor. Add a little bit of the chicken flavor packet and continue stirring till everything is cooked.

The Review:
I decided to cook this as a small appetizer before our Friday night dinner for my dad, mom, and brother. All of them were on board to give it a try and say their opinion about my creation. My brother, a college student said, “This is a lot better than I thought it would be. I never knew Top Ramen could be this good. I was never a big fan of ramen soup but this stir fry changes the game…”

However my dad wasn’t a fan, he said “I’m not a lover for Chinese food so my opinion is a little biased. Very proud of how you brought all of this together for us.”

My mom added, “ I think this would be delicious if you could find a more flavorful sauce, sriracha is too simple.”

I think if I were to do this again I would definitely try to find a more interesting sauce. Stir frys have always been a favorite kind of food for me so I’m really happy how I turned a 25¢ packet of ramen into something a little more sophisticated.