Heisenberg’s Enterprise

Heisenberg%E2%80%99s+Enterprise

Andrew Shearson, Writer

Binge watching television shows seems to be everyone’s favorite thing to do nowadays. Netflix and Hulu are both billion dollar companies that make watching television so convenient and enjoyable. As a Netflix consumer, days become sadder and sadder as Netflix removes all of my beloved shows. Although, there has always been one show I can fall back on and watch and that is Breaking Bad.

It is easy to say that Bryan Cranston did a phenomenal job all series long. The show was awarded the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series in 2014. Cranston won many of his own a accolades for the show. He won The Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Television Series and the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series in the same year in 2014. The show is quite famous to say the least.

In the show Cranston stars as Walter White, the protagonist. “Walt” is a chemistry teacher and more importantly a family man. Tragically, he finds out he has inoperable lung cancer, at a time where his family is financially unstable. With his back against the wall, and his family’s future in jeopardy, he begins making meth with Jesse Pinkman, a former student.

Jesse is played by Aaron Paul, another Golden Globe Award winner. Jesse struggles with addiction. His first hand experience with meth and Walt’s expertise in chemistry form an unexpected power duo. Both of them keep a low status as their new career begins to flourish. Walt gives himself the super ego “Heisenberg” so that his name and reputation at home stay clean.

But, wait. There’s a catch. And no I’m not spoiling anything!

Walt’s brother-in-law, Hank, the antagonist of the show, who lives less than a mile away, is a DEA agent. For those of you that aren’t great with acronyms, DEA stands for the “Drug Enforcement Administration.” Wait, it’s gets better. Hank is head of the investigation for meth distribution in the Southwest. All series long, he chases a “Heisenberg” without knowing it’s his brother in law. Awkward.

Walt’s meth enterprise faces many obstacles along the way. Whether it’s the DEA or other drug cartels, Walt always has something in the way of his cooking.

The most prominent aspect of the show is its character development. Walter, who once a sweet loving father of his children, transforms into a power driven meth cook.

Even after Walt earned a sufficient supply of money for his family, he would go back to cooking meth. Why? Because Walt loved being the best at what he did. This feeling was one Walter had never experienced before – being the best at something.

When Jesse questions Walt’s motive for continuing to cook, even after earning enough to guarantee his children a financially stable future. Walt answered with, “Jesse, you asked me if I was in the meth business or the money business. Neither. I’m in the empire business.” This quote from Walt, in my opinion, solidified his transition into a life centered around being the greatest drug dealer.

My only red flag with the show is that it slows down drastically in the third season. There is little to no plot development for a couple episodes, which frustrated an impatient Netflix obsessee like myself. Sticking with the show is well worth it. The show has arguably one of the most dramatic yet satisfying endings of all time.

When I asked my dad of his opinion of the finale, he could hardly control himself. He claims that, “It is definitely my favorite ending of any television series. This was one of the few shows that I have been overly content with the outcome.”

I would definitely recommend this show to anyone who hasn’t seen it. If you are impatient when it comes to watching a show unravel than this probably isn’t the show for you. If you love drama, anticipation, and suspense, like most ordinary people, than you’re going to love this show.