Molly Ball Jumps into the New Season – and the New Pool

Loyola+opened+its+new+pool+on+Aug+11.+Molly+Ball+and+the+rest+of+the+girls+swim+team+is+loving+their+new+home.+

Steve Donisch

Loyola opened its new pool on Aug 11. Molly Ball and the rest of the girls swim team is loving their new home.

Meg McCall, Writer

Molly Ball is a varsity swimmer at Loyola Academy and has been in the water her whole high school career. As a senior, she looks forward to her last year in the new pool and being able to make memories with her best friends. 

Some of the Loyola varsity swimming biggest rivals are New Trier, which they swim against next Friday, Sept 20. But Molly is not worried. She has noticed how hard the underclassman have been working and have shown great leadership. Also, this is the largest varsity team that girl swimming has had since Coach Hengelmann has been at Loyola. 

Their early 6a.m. practices and lifting three times a week are not for nothing. Last season, the girls had to swim outside all season in a country club pool. Now they finally have a place to call home. 

Molly is a big leader on the team and she looks forward to getting to know the underclassman who joined varsity this year. 

“The team is young with majority of varsity being underclassmen, so it’s already been a challenge for the team for them to understand how high school season works. We all really like each other so getting along isn’t a problem; it’s more about holding everyone accountable,” said Molly. 

Although Molly doesn’t have any plans to swim in college, she and her teammates are ready to dive into a great season, make more memories, and grow as swimmers, people and friends.