Hometown Rookie Cole Kmet Sparks a Bears Win

Charlie Tierney, Writer

Chicagoland, our Bears team this year is looking sharp.

This week Chicago took a trip to Charlotte to take on the 3-2 Panthers. The Panthers capitalized on a win against the Falcons last week with star wide receiver DJ Moore’s 51 yard touchdown, and Mike Davis leading the rushing game with star back Christian Mccaffrey out with an ankle injury.

Would Chicago’s hometown tight end Cole Kmet’s touchdown lead us to a win? Or did our energetic defense lead the way with an almost pick six and an extra three takeaways?

The Bears offense didn’t do so hot, as usual, but our hometown rookie Cole Kmet scored his first TD as a Bear. Kmet, a rookie tight end out of Notre Dame, caught a seven yard touchdown pass from Nick Foles, and has always dreamed of catching one of those passes from none other than the Super Bowl 52 MVP Foles. Kmet got compliments from teammates Jimmy Graham and Allen Robinson on the sideline after the rookie’s dreams came true.

Kmet’s high school, St. Viator, is only about 20 minutes away from Loyola. Kmet, also a baseball star for Notre Dame,  was drafted by the White Sox in 2017 in the fifth round of the MLB Draft.

Now, onto one of the best defenses in the NFL. The Chicago Bears had a day with two interceptions and a fumble recovery. They also held an above average quarterback in Teddy Bridgewater to under 200 yards. Coupled with the offense, their efforts led to a 23-16 victory over the Panthers.

The Bears are moving on to a 5-1 record to play in a prime time game next week on Monday against the Rams in Los Angeles in the Rams new $5 Billion SoFi Stadium. The Rams lost to the 49ers in the Sunday night match-up in San Francisco, giving them a 4-2 record.

Most NFL teams may think we aren’t a playoff team, but after watching our defense and offense grind it out against a solid Carolina team, they may reconsider.