Field Hockey Season Review

James Sohigian

Abby Bevan looks to play the ball near the goal as Ellie Clifford and Caroline Smith look on. Loyola won the Senior Night game 9-1.

Caleigh Keating, Editorial Staff

Loyola Varsity Field Hockey has put their latest season in the books, finishing the season 9-4 after their 9-1 demolishing of Lake Forest Academy on April 13.
The Senior Night win capped off a season unlike any other, and the Ramblers made the most of the shortened season. The team certainly gave fans a thrill, taking four games to overtime or a shootout and drawing its own student section on The Hill in the process.
The up-and-coming Ramblers cemented themselves as a threat in the IHSFA, taking teams by surprise with their passing, cohesiveness, resolve, and fired-up bench. Loyola made themselves known by competing with some of the top teams in the state, holding last season’s state champion, New Trier, to two goals and taking the runner up, Lake Forest, to a shootout. In a season highlight, Loyola also beat fellow rising team GBS in a shootout at home.
The Ramblers, a surprise top-five team in the state this season, will hope to continue this year’s success into next season, which begins in August. Loyola may not have the element of surprise on their side against top teams next season, but they’re hoping their talent, philosophy, and coaching can help them compete against and beat these teams.
Loyola coach Misty Brady will have a tough task replacing the six seniors, particularly key players Ellie Clifford (forward), Caroline Smith (midfield), and season MVP Abby Bevan (midfield). However, Brady has plenty of choices to fill their holes, including 13 returning juniors.
Loyola will likely rely heavily on standouts Bella Thoms (defense), Sophia Sohigian (midfield), and Carson Pike (forward) next season, all of whom started and played crucial roles on the team this past season. The Ramblers will also likely continue to rely on versatile defender Mary Claire Hendrick and clutch forward Charlotte Burke, and juniors Maggie Dooley and Sofia Anthony should see increased roles. Loyola will also benefit from the now-experienced goalkeeper duo of Eleanor Larsen and Lena Banach, both of whom were standouts this season as first-year members of the Varsity team.
With the 2020-2021 season in the books, Loyola’s focus turns to preparation for next season, and figuring out how to better their skills to become one of the best teams in the state, while working to replace their six starting seniors.