Field Hockey Looks to Bounce Back from Loss to GBS

Shannon Hendrick, Writer

The Loyola varsity field hockey team lost a tough game  5-2 last Thursday, September 9, against a well-coached Glenbrook South team. However, this does not give enough credit to the talents within the Loyola program. 

Sophomore Greta Kavanagh led the team in scoring and had the only goals of the game. She is new to the team, but has proved herself to be a vital part of it. She worked her way to become a starting forward and has earned her spot because of efforts similar to Thursday night. 

Dominating on the other side of the field was sophomore goalkeeper Eleanor Larsen. She made incredible saves left and right against one of the best teams in the conference. She was so determined to keep her team in the game, and came up with huge stops on five corners. She ended the night with an impressive 16 saves. Eleanor is a crucial component to the team, and proves it over and over again. 

Another big presence in the game was senior captain Sophia Sohigan. She earned the title of “Water Carrier” of the game. This is a new thing that head coach Misty Brady introduced this year where the player that does the dirty work during the game gets to sign the “Water Carrier” belt. Sophia more than earned it with her playing. She was all over the field causing turnovers and setting up plays. 

“I’m really proud of how the team played today, we obviously have a lot to work on, but I’m excited for what we’re going to be able to do with the rest of the season,” explains senior captain Mary Claire Hendrick talking about the GBS game.

There are big things on the horizon for this Loyola team. They play Oak Park River Forest, a big rival, on Monday, September 20.