The Tragedy of the Performance of Macbeth: A Student’s Perspective

Charlotte O'Bryan, Writer

As I walked into the quaint theater on Tuesday, February 15, I had no idea what to expect.

As my fellow British literature classmates were being seated to watch the one and only Macbeth performed by the theater company Crew of Patches, I desperately wanted to shut my eyes in a dark theater at 8:00 am. I hoped that the play with its action and intensity would intrigue me, and keep my attention on the actors rather than how nice it would be to put my head up and take a nice three hour long nap.  

The first thing I noticed when the play had begun was the blank, empty stage with no props or decoration. At first I was a little worried because it is quite helpful to have scenery to set the time and visuals of the play. Understandably, this was a touring theater production so it would have been quite difficult to set one up. I was optimistic for the rest of the performance, hoping for their acting skills would help me visualize the scene rather than props. 

Lady Macbeth was certainly a character to be reckoned with. She was eccentric in carrying her voice and had amazing facial expressions. When she would be on stage I could not stop watching, desperate for her next lines which I knew would be powerful. 

On the other hand, there were some actors that chose a much different path for their characters. For example, Banquo was not as expected. The actor portrayed him much differently than the play had, which raised concerns not only from myself but from other English students as well. 

“To be honest, the whole play was kind of hard to follow, but the second Banquo came on stage with his zombie performance I was so confused,” says Junior Vylette Formeller. 

His scene when he was supposed to be a faint ghost at Macbeth’s supper turned into a zombie making odd movements across the stage. At this point I felt compelled to laugh, not knowing if this was done for comical efforts but when I also saw my classmates looked confused around me, I assumed that this actor made a very, very wrong choice. 

Eventually, the three hours had come to an end. Three hours of Banquo’s dance moves and the fake baby’s neck cracking leading to a gruesome death.

Although it was not the most enjoyable play, it was nice to be able to watch the play rather than reading it.