The World Supports Ukraine Against Russia’s War

Ted Eytan via Creative Commons

Protestors gather outside the White House to protest Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Audrey Smith, Writer

After two years of pandemic, many thought it couldn’t get worse, until Russia invaded Ukraine unprovoked.

On February 24, Russian President Vladimir Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Russia’s neighboring country, Ukraine, after months of the world anticipating an attack.

The invasion of Ukraine has sparked outrage across the world towards Putin for an unnecessary and unjustified war. NATO and EU countries have announced sanctions and trade restrictions against Russia, but have not intervened with the military.

President Biden addressed his support for Ukraine during his State of the Union on March 1. Biden declared, “Putin’s latest attack on Ukraine was premeditated and totally unprovoked. He rejected repeated efforts at diplomacy.”

So far, the US has sanctioned Russia, which includes banning the import of Russian oil. Many US companies like McDonald’s, Starbucks, and Amazon have also pulled out of Russia. There has also been a lot of pressure and direct sanctions put on Russian oligarchs and Putin himself.

NATO and the EU are also taking in Ukrainian refugees, many of whom are fleeing to Ukraine’s neighboring country, Poland.

The UN Refugee Agency Commissioner noted the current refugee crisis is, “the fastest growing refugee crisis in Europe since World War II.” As many as 2.5 million Ukrainians have fled Ukraine since Russia started the invasion.

As the world watches, many have called for a harder approach by NATO in response to Russia, especially because of Russia’s cruel actions so far. Most of Russia’s attacks have been targeting civilians rather than military bases.

Russia has destroyed many residential areas in Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv, through shelling. Another Ukrainian city, Mariupol, is reported to have a death toll of over 2,500, according to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s office. In Mariupol, Russia bombed a maternity hospital, which has caused devastation. Civilians are calling for harsh punishments of Russia and Putin for war crimes.

In response to Russia’s terror, US Congress recently passed a bill that will provide nearly $14 billion in aid to Ukraine. The money will go toward humanitarian aid to displaced Ukrainians, as well as increased military equipment and troops in Europe.

President Zelenskyy  virtually addressed Congress on Wednesday, March 16. In a statement from Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, and Senate Majority Leader, Chuck Schumer, the US reaffirmed its support for Ukraine and a commitment to take further action against Russia.

The leaders wrote, “Congress remains unwavering in our commitment to supporting Ukraine as they face Putin’s cruel and diabolical aggression, and to passing legislation to cripple and isolate the Russian economy.”

As of right now, the US and its allies do not want to take part in any military action. NATO has stated that they will only involve their military if a NATO country is attacked, and Ukraine is not a part of NATO.

Another step the US could take is a no-fly zone over Ukraine, which would, according to NBC News, “prevent a country from using warplanes to attacks military targets or civilians on the ground…[and] NATO would be responsible for patrolling the the area with its own plane and would have to be prepared to fire at enemy ones.”

However, NATO countries feel that a no-fly zone would be taken as a sign of war by Russia. So for now, it seems the US will only be providing aid, but will not deploy troops until a NATO country is targeted.

For now the Americans will have to wait and see how the war will change and if military involvement is necessary. To help Ukrainians you can donate to the Ukrainian Red Cross or as a Loyola Academy student, go to Student Activities and donate through Push Coin.