BlerzBall Is Back

Senior+Liam+Zadar+throws+home+a+strike+against+Fremd.+The+Ramblers+came+back+from+an+early+deficit+to+win+the+game.+

M. Krein

Senior Liam Zadar throws home a strike against Fremd. The Ramblers came back from an early deficit to win the game.

Yago Echevarria, Writer

The Ramblers are back to take the field. After playing two games, the Loyola varsity baseball team, affectionately dubbed BlerzBall, is looking to have a good season this year.

The first game was played against the Fremd Vikings last week. Blerz were down 9-1 and everyone thought they were beat. No one comes back from being down 8 runs.

In the 4th inning something in the team changed. Freshman Gael Urbieta hit a beautiful single straight up the middle with 2 runners on base securing 2 RBI’s. This marked the change in tide that game with Loyola scoring every inning until the last, and somehow beating the Vikings 9-10.

Similar to this game, the Ramblers beat Von Steuben at home 6-5 with Von Steuben taking an early lead. The Ramblers came back taking the one run lead in the 6th inning securing the tight win at the bottom of the 7th inning.

The next game for the Ramblers is Mon, March 21 against Niles West High School. Both teams have a perfect score at the moment, although Niles has only played one game this season. Although they’ve only played a single game, Niles West beat Lane Teach 6-3 maintaining the lead throughout the entire game.

It is looking like our Freshman Gael Urbieta is a force to be reckoned with after his debut game with the Ramblers last week after scoring 2 RBI’s. It is extremely rare that we see a freshman starting on any varsity sport, including baseball.

“The boys are ready for this game,” says Senior Liam Zidar, a pitcher on the varsity baseball team. “We won our first two games coming back from tough situations with ease. I have no doubt in my mind that we will maintain that same drive and perseverance against Niles West this week.”

The Ramblers are playing two to three games a week for the rest of the season. What we saw the last two games is a promising outlook for what’s to come.

Loyola will be playing Niles West at Niles West on March 21 at 4:30. Be sure to show up and support BlerzBall.