Do Revenge – The Netflix Rom-Com You Should Watch

Erin Detlefsen, Writer

The newest Netflix teen rom-com, Do Revenge, is a fun watch that feels reminiscent of the early 2000’s; the “classic era” of romantic comedies. 

Do Revenge was written and directed by Jennifer Kaytin Robinson, known for writing Unpregnant (2020) and Thor: Love and Thunder (2022). Robinson was loosely inspired by Alfred Hitchcock’s Strangers on a Train (1951), although adapting it greatly to fit in a modern day setting.

Viewers are first introduced to Drea Torres, portrayed by Camilla Mendes (Riverdale), celebrating her appearance on the cover of a teen magazine at a lavish party thrown by her best friend, Tara Scott (Alisha Boe from 13 Reasons Why). Drea is a scholarship student at Rosehill Country Day High School, a wealthy ivy-feeder in Miami, Florida. 

After the party, Drea and her boyfriend, Max Broussard (Austin Abrams from Euphoria), are shown in Max’s car, where he begins to pressure her into sending revealing photos of herself to him during summer break, as they will be apart. Drea struggles with the request, but eventually sends him uncouth images of herself. These images are leaked to the entire school, leaving Drea ostracized from her peers and friends, right as school gets let out for the summer. In an attempt to continue on with her life despite the unfortunate ending to her junior year, Drea works as a tennis instructor.

While at tennis camp, Drea meets Eleanor Levetan, portrayed by Maya Hawke (Stranger Things). The two eventually become close when Eleanor offers to drive Drea home after her car is unable to start. Eleanore reveals that she is transferring to Rosehill. Eleanor explains that in 1st grade, a rumor was started by their classmate, Carissa Jones, who stated that Eleanor held her down and forcibly kissed her. This rumor haunted Eleanore throughout middle school, and even high school— to the point where she was completely ostracized from her peers and labeled as a predator. 

Due to her scholarship, Drea cannot get into any altercations at Rosehill under threat of expulsion, but she still wants to get back at Max and her old friends. The girls hatch a plan to “do each other’s revenge,” and get back at each other’s nemesis, after all, to the rest of the world they are not friends and in no way connected. This plan would allow for each girl to get back at their bullies without any clear connection being tied back to them.  

The visual aesthetics are stunning, with costumes taking obvious inspiration from classics like Clueless. If there was a resurgence of berets in popular culture, Do Revenge would be to blame. A mix of classic, chic, mini skirts with a pastel color palette will leave any viewer wishing they attended Rosehill.

The sound track could have been found on any teenage girl’s Spotify— in the best way possible. From Olivia Rodrigo and Phoebe Bridgers to Hayley Kiyoko, all of the music fits perfectly with today’s culture. The soundtrack also allows for the movie to be timeless with the inclusion of 90’s rock bands, such as The Cranberries. Similar to a time capsule, this soundtrack will bring viewers back to their 2022-self, even years in the future. 

Although Maya Hawke was amazing, her co-star Camilla Mendes stole the show. Her portrayal of Drea was heartfelt and electric. She managed to take an over saturated archetype, the poor girl on scholarship, and add a new side to the character. Although she tends to be typecast as a “rich bitch,” her ability to transcend that label and embrace a new role shows a promising career in-the-making. 

This film tackles some difficult matters, including mild homophobia and mentions of sexual harassment. Although these themes are heavy, they were dealt with in a responsible way that neither romanticizes nor makes light of the heavy matters. 

Clocking in at 118 minutes, Do Revenge is an easy watch with aesthetic costumes, great acting, and a story about friendship, betrayal, and most importantly— revenge.