Loyola Cleans Up This Spring

Lael O'Shaughnessy, Writer

Spring spots are in full bloom at Loyola. With over 11 varsity sports in the spring season, Loyola has already come out with a bang. 

Girls lacrosse is 6-0 and has won every game by at least 7 points. Their closest game was against Hill Academy from Ontario which they won 14-7.  They boast many committed players including Emma Burke (University of Michigan), Jocelyn Park (Johnson Hopkins University), Shannon Hendrick (Davidson College), Sophie Goldberg (Eileen Dooley), Riley Jenkins (Marquette), and Dottie Ghislandi (Middlebury). Girls lacrosse is on the road to state! 

Boys lacrosse is also hoping for its third consecutive state title this year. So far they are 2-0 and fresh off a big 17-2 win against Maine South. The team is led by captains Matty Vallace, Nate Switch, Sean Cronin, and Easton Bello. The team is currently ranked #2 in the state according to Illinois Lax. 

Blerz Ball is also off to a great start with a record of 2-1-0. They will play 36 games this regular season and hope to move past the sectional championship! Their last game was a 10-6 win over Whitney Young High School. 

Girls soccer is starting the season with a young roster of 26 girls including nine sophomores. They are led by captains Emmy Christopher, committed to Middlebury, Ellie Bradley, Elli Seely, committed to Northern Michigan University, and Emily Pikarski, committed to St. Thomas. They hold a 1-2-2 record. 

Beloved Coach Fink is back with Softball this season. The team is led by Mercedes Delgado, Mo Kinsella, and Bella Mulvaney. They are off to a great start in the race to be two-time regional champs this season with a record of 3-3. 

Boys tennis is a team of six this season and are hoping for big things. They started the season hot by winning the “captain competitions” at this year’s spring pep rally. 

Girls and boys track and field are running into their spring season. They are coming in hot after winning the CCL and GCAC Indoor Championships this winter. Congrats to Jane Lynch who just ran at the New Balance Nationals in the 2 mile.

Last but not least, boys and girls water polo are definitely winning the most fun instagrams of the spring sports. The boys currently boast a 6-1 record. The girls had a rough start going 1-10, but they hope to pick it up for the rest of the season. 

Roll Berz!