Boys Water Polo Wins Big on Senior Night

Senior DJ Patching defends against a Lockport player.

E. Pattison

Eva Pattison, Writer

The boys varsity water polo team notched a landslide win over Lockport on Monday night, May 1. After the home game, the Ramblers got to celebrate their senior night with a 14-1 victory over the Porters.

Senior Will Gardy started the first quarter winning the playoff, and every one after that. Gardy and senior teammate Charlie Considine definitely led the team during this game, either scoring or making great opportunities for their teammates. However, it was not much of a challenge for the Ramblers who were up by 11-1 in the second period.

The goal differential did not stop the intensity of the game from either side. Both Loyola and Lockport received plenty of foul calls, resulting in a Lockport player getting thrown out of the game during the end of the second quarter for too many major calls.

What was seen as unfair treatment by referees caused retaliation from Lockport coaches. Soon, the Loyola coaches got involved and the coaches and referees left to discuss in an office. All players left to go to the locker rooms, with some Lockport players holding up their middle fingers toward the cheering Loyola student fans.

Gardy commented on the mentality the team held regardless of the opponent when he said, “We were good at keeping our cool, the other team got really chippy at times and tried to retaliate and fight back because they didn’t think the refs were going their way… I think the team did the best at staying locked in and focused on what needed to get done on our end which was passing and creating opportunities.”

The Porters continued to play with a man down beginning in the third quarter, and the Ramblers scored another three points. Lockport only had three substitutes while Loyola had five, causing them to fatigue and stay on the defensive end for the rest of the game.

Leading 14-1, Loyola began to throw the ball into the corner after their 30 seconds of possession expired.

The fourth quarter was quite uneventful, but soon after the team got to celebrate the seniors.

Showing appreciation for his seniors, head coach Cashman said, “The seniors have shown us consistency and dedication to the team itself, and through that guidance and modeling behavior they leave a very good legacy.”

The nine graduating seniors definitely showed their talent and ability to lead the team during this game against the Porters.

Although 9-12 in their season, Loyola stays placed 4th in the Catholic Conference. Even though the senior night is over, the Ramblers will continue their run and fight for more wins this season.

Gardy let us know that the Ramblers are not finished yet when he said, “Varsity has a long road ahead of us with sectionals and conference this week so we’re looking forward to getting the job done and making everyone proud.”