Chatting with a Cheerleader

Arianna+works+to+pump+up+the+crowd+at+a+recent+football+game.+

Arianna works to pump up the crowd at a recent football game.

Gianna Lapasso, Writer

This week, I talked with Arianna Awdisho, a senior and a captain on Loyola Academy’s varsity cheer team.

1. When did you start cheering?

“I actually started cheering my freshman year but I did OLPH cheer in 8th grade and also did gymnastics, so I’ve always been tumbling.”

1. What do you like most about cheer?

“My favorite part of cheer is my teammates. We have so many different personalities and sometimes we argue like sisters but we are always there for each other. It’s kind of like a huge family.”

1. What’s your biggest accomplishment in your cheer career?

“My biggest accomplishment was when I got the captain position. I was honestly not expecting it at all.”

1. Do you have any pregame traditions?

“Before every competition, I play our competition music and go over the routine in my head. Right before we perform, we all say a prayer together and I tell my flyer, Kate Santangelo, to stop worrying so much.”

1. What’s your best memory from Loyola?

“My best memory is the team scavenger hunt every year before the first home game. It really brings the team together and it’s everyone’s favorite part of the season.”

1. If you could do anything in the world what would it be?

“If I could do anything in the world I would probably travel the world and not worry about any responsibilities and try to meet new people from different cultures.”

1. If you could have any superpower what would it be?

“If I could have any superpower it would probably be photographic memory so that I could get really good grades.”

1. If you won the lottery what would you first buy?

“If I were to win the lottery I would invest my money because most people that win the lottery go bankrupt within the first 10 years.”

1. What’s your favorite movie?

“My favorite movie is Mama Mia because that movie reminds me of when I was younger and would watch it all the time with my mom and my sister.”

1. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

“I would definitely go to Pompeii because, ever since I was ten, I wanted to go see the remains of the city.”